I made corn chowder for the first time last night. This is a different sort of chowder recipe, as it has cayenne pepper in it, so it's a little spicy. I think I put a bit too much though so you might wanna be careful with it! Either way, it's quite good, and not too bad for you either.
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk
2 cups cooked ham, diced
2 cups potatoes, cooked and diced small
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
1. Boil water; meanwhile peel and dice potatoes.
2. Boil for about 10-15 minutes (soft but not too mushy).
3. Meanwhile, dice up ham, onion, celery.
4. In a large saucepan, saute the onion and celery in butter until softened.
5. Stir in the flour and stir until well blended, then gradually add milk.
6. Bring to a boil while stirring until thickened, about 2 minutes.
7. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
8. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until heated through.
Fat 8.1 g
Cholesterol 26.6 mg
Sodium 685.5 mg
Carbohydrate 29.8 g
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
Sugars 7.2 g
Protein 11.8 g
*I'm sure the nutrition information can be made even better by using a low fat milk (I used 2% when I calculated the information)